- Tsuneji Rikitake, my father: who taught me basic math, FORTRAN, and financed my startup (of my professional career, indeed)
- Paul Vixie and DEC NSL people: for the primary idea of firewalls and Internet systems administration, and the proper engineering attitudes toward problem solving
- Daniel J. Bernstein: on re-thinking Internet protocols from the very beginning, especially on DNS
- Bruce Schneier: for the basic philosophy and principles of security, not only for computer systems
- UNIX gurus on Bell Labs and BSD communities: for the programming suite and styles, including C, awk, and Bourne shell
- Joe Armstrong and the Erlang programming communities: for letting me know a practical message-passing-based concurrency
My salutation to Chad Fowler and Kevin Smith for reminding me of this topic.